Saturday, November 14, 2009

Transitioning from Middle School to High School

As I high school mathematics teacher, I always discuss things that students should know coming into high school with other math teachers at my school. In the middle school, students are not allowed to use calculators. However, once they reach the high school level students are allowed to use calculators on their assignments and standardized tests. Many teachers struggle with teaching students after they have completed CRCT testing and still have a full month left in school. Students feel as though they do not need to work anymore because they have already taken the CRCT. Many high school math teachers that I have spoken with feel that this time is a great opportunity to teach students how to use a calculator properly. There have been numerous times that I have seen a student set a math problem up correctly, but end up getting a problem incorrect because they do not know how to input their information into the calculator.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter is in eighth grade and they just started using claculators. however, it is up to them to learn how to use them by themselves. So, they can do the basic functions, but the other functions are not being taught. I agree with you. They need to be taught this before entering high school. I still don't know how to use a calculator properly.

    ReplyDelete